Re: El Mirage

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: El Mirage
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 23:51:47 EST
In a message dated 11/8/2001 6:58:10 PM Pacific Standard Time,
stpitt@zipcon.net writes:

> Group,
> I will be in vacationing in So Calif. the 15th to the 19th of this month.  I
> see that there is a 2 day event at El Mirage the same weekend!  Sounds like
> may have to spend at least one day watching.  My questions are: is El
> Mirage a
> good place for a fan to see some great racing?  (my only exposure to LSR is
> Bonneville twice at WOS)  Also, how do I get directions on how to get there?
> I will be in the Pomona area so according to my map, I go east on I 210 from
> Pomona then north on I 15 then divert to 395 north.  But from there I have
> no
> idea.  I assume I will need to be on the El Mirage Road from 395 but I'm not
> sure.  Unfortunately my maps don't show race courses.  Any help or resources
> would be appreciated.
> Thanks, an avid racing fan in Seattle, Steve Pitt

Steve,
       Once you get on I-395 watch for the Adelanto turnoff about 16 miles
after you leave I-15. Get off at Adelanto and head west on El Mirage Rd.
Watch for the El Mirage Recreation Area entrance on the right several miles
out of Adelanto. Take the entrance road for about 2-3 miles, then watch for
roads on the left that will take you to the south-east end of the lake bed.
There will be an old power line that marks the end of the dry lake. The SCTA
pits are at the opposite (north west) end of the dry lake, about 3-4 miles
away.
       If you get there between 8:00AM and 3:00PM either Saturday or Sunday
use caution regards the race course location. If you see red road cones you
are near the course.
       El Mirage is a great place to see, hear, and experience the form of
LSR that started the movement in the mid 1930's and has been going ever since.

Ardun Doug King

#1313 XXF/BFMR