Re: Need a clue....

To: "Salt Hawk" <salthawk@coldreams.com>
Subject: Re: Need a clue....
From: "Ed Van Scoy" <edvs@uswest.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 15:16:12 -0700
d-Limonene is the major component of the oil extracted from citrus rind.  When
citrus fruits are juiced, the oil is
pressed out of the rind.  This oil is separated from the juice, and distilled
to recover certain flavor and fragrance
compounds.  The bulk of the oil is left behind and collected.  This is food
grade d-limonene.  After the juicing process,
the peels are conveyed to a steam extractor.  This extracts more of the oil
from the peel.  When the steam is
condensed, a layer of oil floats on the surface of the condensed water.  This
is technical grade d-limonene.

 In the past decade, the use of d-limonene has expanded tremendously.  Much of
the product goes into making paint
solids, used to impart an orange fragrance to products, and used as a secondary
cooling fluid.  But the largest
growth segment has been the use of d-limonene in cleaning products.  This has
occurred in both industrial uses and
in household/institutional products.  d-Limonene can be used either as a
straight solvent, or as a water dilutable
product.

As a straight solvent,   d-limonene can replace a wide variety of products,
including mineral spirits, methyl ethyl
ketone, acetone, toluene, glycol ethers, and of course fluorinated and
chlorinated organic solvents.  As with most
organic solvents, d-limonene is not water soluble, so it can be used in the
typical water separation units.  With a KB
value of 67, d-limonene has solubility properties close to that of CFCs,
indicating that it is a much better solvent than
a typical mineral spirit.   Straight d-limonene can be used as a wipe cleaner,
in a dip bath, or in spray systems as a
direct substitute for most other organic solvents.

By combining d-limonene with a surfactant package, a water dilutable and
rinsible solution can be made.  In most
cases these products are used in the institutional and household settings in
place of caustic and other water based
cleaners.  A concentrated solution of a d-limonene/surfactant solution can be
made to be diluted before use, or
pre-diluted solutions can be formed.  The use concentrations of d-limonene in
these situations are usually 5-15%.  In
general these solutions are used as spray and wipe cleaners.  The water
dilutable solutions can also be used in
industrial settings where a water rinse of the parts is desired to remove any
residue which may remain.

d-Limonene is a very versatile chemical which can be used in a wide variety of
applications.  It is extremely safe and
more effective than typical cleaning solutions.
dlimonene dlimonene dlimonene dlimonene d'limonene d'limonene d'limonene
d'limonene d'limonene orange oil orange oil orange oil
orange oil orange oil orange oil orange oil orange oil orange oil citrus
terpenes citrus terpenes citrus terpenes citrus terpenes citrus
terpenes citrus terpenes orange terpenes orange terpenes orange terpenes orange
terpenes orange terpenes orange terpenes
d-limonene d-limonene d-limonene d-limonene d-limonene d-limonene d-limonene
d-limonene d-limonene citrus solvent citrus
solvent citrus solvent citrus solvent