RE: Car Status/ intake cooling

To: "'Albaugh, Neil'" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>,
Subject: RE: Car Status/ intake cooling
From: "Clay, Dale" <Dale.Clay@mdhelicopters.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 09:12:25 -0700
Good idea, Neil.  I got a question from one of my bud's over the holiday
that I couldn't answer;  is water injection legal in gas classes?  Has
anybody raised this before?

Dale C.

Rick;

CO2 wouldn't effect the "ozone hole", so drag out all those old fire
extinguishers and cool those intercoolers. Liquid nitrogen (LN2) is a
liquid, easy to get, and it's really cold-- 77 degrees Kelvin. Spray that on
an intercooler and the charge temperature would plummet and its density
would go up. Liquid oxygen (LOX) would do much the same thing and when it
evaporates, some could be ducted into the intake....and the whole thing
would either go like stink or be a big hand grenade. Liquid hydrogen?
...think "Hindenberg." Liquid helium is really cold (4.2 K) but don't even
think of trying it-- too dangerous. It's cold enough that it freezes the
other gasses in the air and forms an ice plug in the neck of the container.
Unvented, the pressure builds up and ruptures the container.

LN2 really would be practical, though.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

entities other than the intended recipient or employees of
MD Helicopters, Inc. is prohibited.   If you received this in error, please
contact the sender by email and delete the material from any computer..