Charge Air Cooling vs. Fuel Cooling

To: "DrMayf" <drmayf@teknett.com>, "Albaugh, Neil"
Subject: Charge Air Cooling vs. Fuel Cooling
From: "Bill Bennett" <benettw@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 21:06:31 -0500
Well I have been giving some thought lately on an air to liquid intercooler.
Here is what I had in mind similar to what was first said. 10-15 gallon
holding tank circulating a mixture of 50/50 water-glycol. Here is where I
stack the deck. I have a refrigeration unit that I used to use to cool
tooling when I use to do hot epoxy coatings of electric motors. The
refrigeration unit is small enough to carry on the push truck and runs off
110. It has it own storage tank and recirculating system. With 2 hoses
connected to the car while it is waiting in line I could control the chilled
water temperature to what ever I wanted, till time to go. For extra measure
on one those really hot days a couple of chunks of dry ice in the tank at
the last moment wouldn't hurt either.

I don't remember who it was, but remember seeing a picture of a camaro or
firebird with about 4 CO2  tanks in the rear to used for charge air cooling.
I believe at one time it held a record or 2.

As far as fuel cooling goes a cool can can't disapate the heat quick enough
in a non bypass type fuel system. If you were able to constantly circulate
the fuel and provide enough cooling media then it might be of some benefit.
I just believe there is more to gain in charge air cooling rather than fuel
cooling.

Just my random thoughts as usual

Bill