RE: Cold Intake

To: "'john backus'" <34ford@msn.com>,
Subject: RE: Cold Intake
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 10:23:41 -0600
John;

Lowering the temperature of the fuel increases its density but not very
much. Lowering your air/fuel mixture helps much more. In a
supercharged/turbo system, getting rid of the heat of compression with an
intercooler boosts BHP and also reduces the tendency toward detonation. A
cooler mixture also allows a somewhat higher compression ratio.

I think we're rediscovering much of the stuff that was originally developed
for WW II- era fighter reciprocating engines-- nitrous oxide, water/alcohol
injection, turbochargers, intercoolers, etc. Looking at some of the tricks
that were used in the Rolls- Royce Merlin & Griffon, Allison, D-B, and
Junkers Jumo engines can be instructive. It can also let us know that we're
not as smart as we thought we were-- those guys did it first over 60 years
ago.

Regards, Neil     Tucson, AZ