Re: Recips.

To: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Subject: Re: Recips.
From: rtmack <RTMACK@pop3.concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 15:53:33 -0600
Neil:
I was an "army brat", and travelled around-- but a lot of my growing up was in
San Antonio, a great air force town.  I remember the sound of the 6 Wasp Major
(28cyl) radials on the B-36s (couldn't even hear the 4 little turbojets)-- like
prolonged thunder, for minutes at a time.  I would lie on my back in the
sunflowers and watch them for hours, from the time I was 4 'til about 7.

But the first Merlin I ever heard "up close" gave me a better scare than a
wooden
roller-coaster.  At 12 years old, my best friend's dad (ex- "Mighty Eighth";
B-17s) took us to a small airshow at Stinson Field.  As the audience was in the
bleachers awaiting the opening of the show, a distant scream began to build and
grow closer-- and CLOSER!  We all strained to see where the sound was coming
from, and it was right out of the sun.  With the hair standing up on the back of
my neck, I dived under the stands along with everyone else-- and peeked out to
see a P-51D level-off a couple hundred feet above our heads.  It's a wonder
nobody had a heart attack-- or maybe they did; I was so focused on the airplanes
that day, I might not remember.  I do remember being glad that I had just gone
the bathroom!  I've wanted a 51D ever since.
Russ Mack