Re: Fuel Flow

To: "Dave Dahlgren" <ddahlgren@snet.net>, "Dick J" <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Fuel Flow
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 08:51:18 -0600
Hey Dick... just a thought....Dave is Talking inside diameter of fuel lines
and I'm pretty sure your 3/8ths number is an outside diameter.... best I
can remember the inside of that line is 1/4".... but I could be wrong....

Keith

----------
> From: Dave Dahlgren <ddahlgren@snet.net>
> To: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
> Cc: DrMayf <drmayf@teknett.com>; autox list <land-speed@autox.team.net>
> Subject: Re: Fuel Flow
> Date: Saturday, February 23, 2002 4:13 AM
>
> It depends on where the pump is. If you have it on the engine then it has
to draw the fuel through the line if you have an electric in the tank or at
the tank then it has to push the fuel. Big difference in fuel flow. if you
want to be sure run a 1/2 line from the tank. On the other hand a 6250
redline pretty much precludes making anything in the way of a serious
amount of horse power  You need some rods and valve gear so you can turn it
up a little. All the flow in the world and no rpm to process
> the air is pretty much pointless in the bigger picture.. Kind of like
wearing driving gloves while in your Yugo.  Why such a low rev limit?? SBC
boat engines only run 1000 rpm less than this from the factory. And old
Corvettes turned that much stock (6250 or more), what would it take to get
you into maybe 7200 for a rev limit? Rods ? cam ? valve springs?
> Dave Dahlgren
>
> Dick J wrote:
>
> > Now that I have a decent port job on the heads of my SBC 350, I was
told that it would flow enought to require an absolute minimum of a 750CFM
carb and bigger headers.  I've got an 800 Edelbrock Performer carb on a
Victor Jr. and the new headers have 1 3/4 primaries dumping into a ten inch
long 3 1/2 dia. collector.  My Carter NASCAR fuel pump will flow more than
enough fuel, and I have a monster fuel filter that should offer no
reduction in fuel flow.  I use a self-imposed red line of 6250 RPM.