Re: Data Recordersutilize require expertise and expense that

To: Jonathan Amo <webmaster@landracing.com>
Subject: Re: Data Recordersutilize require expertise and expense that
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 08:21:33 -0700
Jon,

I have been sitting quietly on the sidelines in the discussion and don't
really think that I want to jump in with both feet as yet, but I would
like to make a comment, giving my take on the rule.

First and foremost, we ARE amateurs, at least the general LSR person is.
That alone speaks to many of the rules in place. Devices & ideas some of
us would prefer to utilize require expertise and expense that the
majority of the racers can't apply.

I DO USE TRACTION CONTROL! My car drives through the rear wheels which
are hooked together with a spool in the differential and my right foot
controls the power applied. This works for me, and many others I might
add. Why should we complicate the issue by allowing what ever gadget
that becomes available.

In my opinion, NASCAR nor any other organization wields much influence
over our rules. We play in a different "ball game". Over the years many
"experts" from other racing venues have come to Bonneville to show us
how it is done and go home with their tails between their legs. Our
rules apply to our racing environment, they are well thought out and
changed, slowly and cautiously, as is deemed necessary. My suggestion is
to read the rule book carefully, build your car to fit those guidelines,
then go racing and have fun!

I also have a question concerning the recorder issue in the Classic
Class. If you have a car that fits the Classic Class requirements and
install a recorder, doesn't that simply put you back in the class you
would have been in before the Class was established?

Tom, (still on a steep learning curve)- #216 D/GCC - Redding CA