Re: V8 bike motors.

To: "Clay, Dale" <Dale.Clay@mdhelicopters.com>
Subject: Re: V8 bike motors.
From: Rick Hammond <r.hammond@sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 17:22:42 -0400
"Clay, Dale" wrote:

> Hey, Glen Curtiss used one of his V8 aero engines in a bike and set a land
> speed record way back in 1907, went something like 135MPH on a beach in
> Florida.  Making him the "fastest man on earth" at that time.
>
> I believe it's in the Smithsonian Air Museum (at least it was the last time
> I was there).  Looking at that bike and thinking about a beach makes me
> think he was at least as brave as any of our guys today.
>
> Dale C.
>
> (I assume we're NOT talking about the Boss Hoss, LOL)
>

>                 Subject:        Re: V8 bike motors.
>
>                 I was prodding Rick Y.:):)

Hi Dale,
Since I sort of fired up the V8 bike thing, guess I better come clean ;-)

No, NO, not a Boss Hoss, but about two projects from now (not counting
aquisition
of parts) I'm doing a bike with a 215 aluminum Buick V8.  I will be keeping
everything I can off the front of the motor (remote pumps etc.) and the rear
swingarm will attach to a custom 'bellhousing' where I will have a 90 deg. to
drive a chain/belt.

The worst thing about V8 boss hoss types is the need to build frame up and over
the lump to locate a steering head.
I'm using the motor (all 300lbs of it ;-) as frame, with a swingarm front end
from a Yamaha GTS1000.  Believe it or not, that is a good bit wider than what I
need, but to get this together I'll stick with that unit as it is already
designed for a bike heavier than I'm planning.  There will be alloy plates going
forward from the front motor mounts to locate the front end.

The lowest profile manifolds for these seem to be the old rover ones for a carb
on each side.  I may try that with a pair of Ducati injector bodies. (bigger
bore
than the stock carbs)

Like I said; I have parts but other projects await first.  Why?  Why does a
dog....? (no, not because I can't make a fist ;-)
Keep you posted,
Rick