Recent Topic Threads...

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Recent Topic Threads...
From: "DrMayf" <drmayf@teknett.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 09:37:42 -0800
Listening to the chatter on pinion angles. Curious. I have a four link, not
four bar, set up. The point of which is to use the different mounting holes
to get the correct instant center to properly transfer weight to the rear
wheels. Other wise a 4 bar is what is needed. And I gotta ask: Just how much
suspension travel do you have at full boogie down the course? I would be
willing to bet not very much! Else wise the folk running no suspensions at
all would lose their eyeballs going down the course. I would set that puppy
as if the car is loaded then forget it.

Suspensions are also something to consider. A rigid suspension is apt to
break things so maybe the only suspension really needed is some material
which give some compliance but not much movement...like a vibration isolator
thingy.

Aero thoughts. A teardrop is maybe not the right answer. Ya'll quote the
falling rain drop as the world's best shape...why? It is formed by pressure,
is a fluid surface and is very low speed.  The old belly tank has a pretty
good Cd but if you have to make it so big to get the correct dimensions then
you are adding parasitic skin drag. And that shape has to be cambered as it
gets close to the track surface. Cambered means flattened out on the bottom
of the drag goes up really fast. Tear drop shape is good if you are in free
air away from the surface. Getting out of the air has been mentioned a few
times. Yes. The reason is that a blunt rear end where the air reforms way
back there also creates a low pressure on the surface at the rear of the
car, bike, plane or whatever. If you can force the air to rejoin
immediately, ala vortex generators or smoopth body panels then the drag goes
down. Look at Jack's car...best around! No lift, good air entry, small blunt
tail with vortex generators to make the air turbulent at the back, very
small frontal area, minimum skin area. Use his principles and all will be
good...

end of transmission.....

mayf