RE: Car canopy

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Car canopy
From: "Russel Mack" <rtmack@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 16:05:18 -0600
Chris:
personally, I find the quality of the stuff from Harbour Freight (and their
direct competitor, Northern Tool) sometimes average, but often pretty low
(depending on the product).

Normally I wouldn't buy low quality stuff because it often costs more in the
long run (requires replacement, etc.).  In the case of canopies and other
pit equipment, I've found that the stuff from these two companies are priced
SO low, it often represents the best long-term cost of ownership.  For
example, I bought a set of air tools from Northern for a ridiculously low
price.  Even if one or two of the tools need replacing in 6 months, it's
still a really good deal (none have failed in the 9mos I've been using
them).

Bought my canopy from them, too.  Seems great for occasional use, but the
tarp failed after being exposed to 6mos of S. Texas sunshine.  Ordered
another (for $20) today.

Learned this low-cost way to operate last year working w/ Skip Higginbotham
& Bill Smith, of this list.

The two suppliers mentioned seem to be very popular (for support equipment)
throughout the U.S. LSR community.  I think that very few among us have
money to just "throw-around".
Russ, #1226B