RE: Electric motors and compressors

To: "'Bob Jepson'" <Bobbyhotrods@attbi.com>,
Subject: RE: Electric motors and compressors
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 10:29:32 -0600
Bob;

Watch out for those "7.5A Motor" (or whatever) ratings that you find in ads
for vacuum cleaners, power tools, etc. The current that a motor draws
(electrical power INput) is only loosely related to its mechanical power
OUTput.

The key is to have a motor with high efficiency; a really cheap motor will
look great in an ad that touts its "amps" while a high quality motor will
have a higher "HP" rating with far fewer "amps". It isn't simply a matter of
"watts".

Wiring that motor to 240V will reduce its amperage because you are putting
the AC voltage across a different winding than you use for 120V. The power
will be about the same but the motor might have a slightly higher efficiency
on 240V.

Look for what you need from the compressor-- CFM @ 90psi is my criterion--
then compare the AC motor ratings. Get one with a BIG tank.

Home Depot has some nice compressors from time to time.

Regards, Neil     Tucson, AZ