Re: early 60's record info needed

To: WILKINSON <gary_ellen@msn.com>
Subject: Re: early 60's record info needed
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 19:09:33 -0800
Ellen,

The #123 car was a belly tank that was based in Redwood City California.
In 1959 the car was entered in C Lakester as Colvin-Holder-Purvis.
Purvis was the driver and set the record at 219.453 MPH.

In 1961 the car was entered as Colvin-Purvis-Champion Speed Shop in A
Lakester. In 1962 in A Lakester again as Don Colvin. In 1963 entered as
Leonard Ely Motors in A LAKESTER. In 1964 also in A Lakester as Argo
Machines with Don Colvin as the driver. The car doesn't show up in the
1965, '66 or '67 programs.

I believe that this is the belly tank that crashed in both 1963 and
1964. I was working the 9 mile post and was the first to the crash in
1964. I don't remember who was driving, but I assume it was Colvin. As I
remember, the car was on the first leg of the two-way record runs that
morning.  To have been running for a record, he would have qualified
faster than the Quincy-Brissette record set in 1960 at 251.309 MPH. When
I got to the crash site, the driver was out of the car walking around.
His comment was, " If I don't quit crashing, they are going to stop
giving me the injectors."

I hope this helps. I believe the info to be reasonably accurate.

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/CC