Re: Gale Banks

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Gale Banks
From: W S Potter <wester6935@attbi.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 19:09:02 -0700
After reading the introduction to the article I'm very cautious about taking
anything the writer says about Banks to the bank.

Examples;  It wasn't 1927 when they first ran fast on the salt, it was 1914.
Teddy Tetzlaff drove the Blitzen Benz to a stopwatch timed 147 mph.  They
got several cars and 150 paying spectators to the salt on a flatbed car on
the railroad.
           Ab Jenkins (not Jinkins) raced a train from Salt Lake City to
Wendover to celebrate the opening of the Lincoln Highway.  He carried small
bags of flour.  A rider in the new Studebaker he was driving threw them down
as they crossed the train tracks fifteen times along the route to show they
were ahead of the train each time.  I guess they did race across the salt
flats but Ab only beat the train by five minutes, not ten.  (He won $250 and
it cost more than that to repair the new Studebaker.)
            Ab Jenkins first timed runs on the salt were in 1932.

With that kind of research I'd be VERY cautious about any other claims.

Wes