Re: NON LSR Nostalgia....

To: <wmtsmith@landracing.com>, "W S Potter" <wester6935@attbi.com>,
Subject: Re: NON LSR Nostalgia....
From: "Steve Pitt" <stpitt@zipcon.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 14:17:03 -0800
My Pop had a crop dusting business in eastern WA years ago.  They used
Stearmans then with P&W R-985 round engines, 9 jugs, 450 hp, noisy creatures
and I loved 'em, clattering and loping.  They belched fire out of a single
unmuffled stack and spit out a huge cloud of sweet smelling oil smoke when
you started them up. (air cooling meant loads of piston clearance, we added
oil by the gallon)  Had self starters but they rarely worked or batteries
were dead so we hand cranked them.  Flying day started at dawn which meant
everybody within miles was jarred awake by that sound.  All the neighbors
hated it but I loved that sound.  Ah, the good old days.....
Regards,
Steve Pitt