Rules Help

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Rules Help
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 15:17:15 -0800 (PST)
The rules require a minimum 5 lb fire extinguisher "within easy access of the
driver."  Then it goes on "driver controlled, designed and applied to function
as driver protection".
I had a 5lb Halon bottle, mounted in the original strap mount, bolted to the
transmission hump in my Camaro. At one race, the starter had me pull the pin,
and unbuckle the mounting strap to make the extinguisher ready to pull out and
use.  At the last meet, I was written up for using the factory-made bracket.
The inspector said they were too flimsy and that if the bottle came loose
during an accident, it would be a lethal projectile inside the vehicle.
Both approaches make sense, but what is the correct one.  I'm getting ready to
re-mount my extinguisher and want to know if it's supposed to be able to be
removed or is it supposed to be positively secured and used in place.  This is
a 150 mph car, and we're not talking about a fire protection system with tubing
and nozzles.  This is a standard, 5lb bottle.  I started to make a permanent
mount with the nozzle aimed towards my feet, but thought I'd better get a
reading on this rule before I spend two days bending and welding somehting up
and get to the races to find out it's against the rules.
How to mount a fire extinguisher?  I have two halon extinguishers.  Can I mount
them both for extra protection?  Can they be mounted the same way to function
the same way?
Dick J In East Texas