Fw: Re: SCTA motorcycle modified wheelbase maximum (pt 1)

To: "LSR List" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: Re: SCTA motorcycle modified wheelbase maximum (pt 1)
From: "todd" <todd@twinjugs.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 14:38:55 -0500
Joe, talked to Wink and it's verified.... Must be a "minimum" of 68" wb to
run in an altered class. That's the best way to put it as that is the
reasoning behind it. In other words, although 68" is the maximum you can have
to run in modified it was setup more for the fact of keeping it as a minimum
for altered. I'm not going into the why the decision was made and all as
that's SCTA's decision and up to someone like Wink to explain, but the way I
understand it is if you don't have a 68"+ wheelbase you aren't going to run
in an altered class under SCTA... and ECTA is following suit as much as
possible to some point(to be decided).
I can't speak for SCTA and barely for ECTA at this point, but it is being
looked at by ECTA for those that have ran modified in the past and what kind
of bi to enact for entrants that can show they've ran their 68"-72" bike in a
modified class in the past(Maybe a 1 year grandfathering clause as you
mention would be good? SCTA is not going to do this though and it's possible
that ECTA will not either, time will tell).
I've found a couple little things I can do to suffice my bike I'm building as
it hasn't ran in a modified class in it's present for6m(ie: new wheelbase). I
think it's only right I make the neccesary changes to abide by the new ruling
for that reason. That and the fact that if I start running altered I will
have to change way more then the wheelbase to be able to take full advantage
of the altered class(ie: smaller fuel cell, lower seating, foot control
positioning, etc.) as i've built this to take the modified class to it's
fullest extent for both maxton and bonnevile).
Hope this helps and I might be able to answer a couple questions on it but
you may want to wait to call SCTA until after the rulebook is in your hand
(should be very shortly). And ECTA questions should probably be held off
another week or two for a final decision to be made.
Todd Dross