ACCUS

To: "LSR-List" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: ACCUS
From: "Elon" <netstuff@attbi.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 23:58:25 -0700
Many, many years ago (about 45) the AAA lost interest in racing oversight.
For a couple of years FIA interactions (what little there were) took place
between the US individual racing organizations (USAC, NASCAR, etc). Not
sure, but I think the FIA kind of got tired of dealing with individuals
organizations all over the world (i.e. US & Europe) and decided they wanted
only one organization from each country representing the racing interests of
that country.  It made sense to me at the time and I assumed one of the well
known organizations (USAC or NASCAR) would be the FIA rep. However, things
got a little messy and there was some backbiting going on with all of the
alphabet groups vying for the role. I think Wally Parks (NHRA) was even
maneuvering for a role. Being young at the time, I didn't pay particular
attention to the racing bureaucracy but I do remember there was great
discussion when the ACCUS-FIA became the point lead for US racing when
everybody assumed it would be a fight won by USAC or NASCAR.  Don't know who
or how the ACCUS got the nod but it would be very interesting to know the
real story.

>From the web:  ACCUS: Automotive Competition Committee of the United States.
This is an umbrella organization which includes representatives from CART,
<http://home.hiwaay.net/~cornutt/glossary.html#cart#cart> NASCAR,
<http://home.hiwaay.net/~cornutt/glossary.html#nascar#nascar> IMSA, SCCA,
NHRA, USAC <http://home.hiwaay.net/~cornutt/glossary.html#usac#usac> , and
as of November 1997, the IRL.
<http://home.hiwaay.net/~cornutt/glossary.html#indyracingleague#indyracingle
ague>  It handles cross-licensing between sanctioning bodies in the U.S.,
and serves as the U.S. representative to FISA, the international auto racing
coordination body. The formation of ACCUS in 1961 eliminated most of the
turf wars between rival sanctioning bodies; doing so contributed greatly to
the growth of auto racing in the U.S. during the '60s.

The same kind of thing happened to motorcycle Grand Prix racing when
everyone thought the AMA would become the US representative. The richest,
largest, and most politically influential motorcycle group was the AMA.
However, if I remember correctly, at the time they did not have even one
road race (only flat track, scrambles, etc).   On the other hand the
American Federation of Motorcycles held only road races. I think the lesser
known AFM became the rep (I might have the acronym wrong for the motorcycle
guys). Since road racing was the Grand Prix "thing"  the AFM gleaned the
rights to hold Grand Prix road races and the AMA lost out. That was many
moons ago and I'm sure things changed because power and money cannot be
denied their destiny.  The AMA even started holding road races.  Don't know
the situation today but some of our motorcycle friends will surely enlighten
me.    -Elon