RE: Bump Steer

To: "'Dick J'" <lsr_man@yahoo.com>, "'Richard Fox'" <v4gr@rcn.com>,
Subject: RE: Bump Steer
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 11:15:03 -0500
Dick;

If you have much bump steer in the front (or rear) suspension, you'll be
driving an evil-handling car. No doubt about that! Especially avoid toe-in
at the front on bump and toe-out at the rear on bump. Droop is less
important.

True, if there were a perfectly straight and level run without any wind, a
car should run straight even if the suspension is totally hosed-- providing
all four wheels are pointing in the same direction-- but this is only a
theoretical case. Cars never run perfectly straight and level; a driver is
constantly making small steering corrections to keep the car going
"straight" and if those steering corrections make the car want to swap ends
(unstable), it will be a white-knuckle ride.

Make the car as good- handling as possible by suspension geometry, CG, etc.,
then work on aerodynamics. That's my philosophy, anyway--- others may have a
different opinion.

Regards, Neil     Tucson, AZ