RE: Bonneville Request

To: "'W S Potter'" <wester6935@comcast.net>, "'DrMayf'"
Subject: RE: Bonneville Request
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 11:15:52 -0500
Wes;

I know that looks dramatic but I don't think it says much about its
elasticity.

The physics term "elastic" is almost universally misunderstood. Common usage
has changed the word's meaning over the years and this causes those
misunderstandings.

A material is "elastic" if it rebounds close to 100% from being deformed.
For example, valve springs are highly elastic; their rebound is close to
100% but not exactly 100%. They lose a tiny bit of energy when a valve is
opened & closed; at high RPM, this energy loss is high enough to get the
springs so hot that they need to be cooled by the oil.

Most people think that a rubber band is elastic but that isn't true. It is
"stretchy" but not very elastic. If you quickly stretch a big rubber band
across your fingers, you can feel the heat from the energy loss due to
deformation.

Actually, glass-- of all things-- is very elastic. If you bend a sheet of
glass, it will spring back with close to 100% rebound. Bend it too far and
it shatters. It goes from a region of elasticity to rupture with no
"plastic" range.

A good test of elasticity is to drop a ball of a material on a smooth hard
surface such as steel and see how high it bounces. A glass ball will bounce
higher than one made of rubber-- up to the point where the glass breaks into
smithereens.

Just where the salt fits into the "elastic" picture, who knows? I've gone on
far to much about this-- sorry.

Regards, Neil