Bonneville Report

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Bonneville Report
From: Daniel Wright <daniel.wright@genetics.utah.edu>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 10:30:12 -0600
Hi
I spent yesterday at the Salt, and thought I would pass along a little of
what I saw.
I didn't take notes, so the speeds I quote here are from my memory, not
official information.
Also, there is so much action at Speedweek, that it is impossible to keep
up, I apologize to all those folks who I should recall in impound, but I do
recall these.

The big Diesel truck Phoenix was in impound after a great 265 mph pass.
Jon Wennerberg was in impound having made a 189 mph pass on the 183 mph
M-F-1350 motorcycle record.
The Nish Liner was in impound after running 312 on a 304 D/GS record.
Big orange Superbird (love them Mopars) in impound, the car was covered, so
no number, no speed info.

I should probably be recalling a bunch more stuff, but I got a LOT of sun
yesterday, and actually spent quite a while with the Burkdoll Racing bunch,
looking for Gremilns in their mechanical fuel Injection system.

The salt was in very good condition, temperature was about 90 for the
high.  There was no standing water anywhere, not even at the end of the road.
The lines to inspection were down to a dozen or so cars at any time, after
having been perhaps hundreds in line on Friday.

Probably the high point of the day for me was simply standing listening to
some guys tuning a Blown Fuel Burning Ardun Roadster, on a beautiful August
morning.  The fumes made my eyes burn, and the noise made my ears ring.  It
was just so totally Bonneville cool.

Dan Wright

It's amazing what you can do if you don't know it can't be done.