Milk Floats

To: LSR List <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Milk Floats
From: Malcolm Pittwood <MPittwood@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 16:31:52 -0400
Jim and list,

The dictionary here says that a float " is a platform on wheels with show
used in processions", but we knew that any way.

Whilst it is unclear is "why?" the name 'float' was applied in the first
place.  It is being used here in the UK quite a lot and is applied to any
vehicle or trailer used to carry any types of goods that are flat bedded,
open back & side design.  They carry Milk Bottles, sacks of coal or sacks
of grain and can be easily unloaded.

In parades we have 'floats' that can be towed by tractors or they are the
trailers of big rigs.  Some floats have vertical perimeter posts and a roof
covering (canvas or tarp) to protect the goods below or the people carried
on the platform.

By the way the frontal area of a Milk Float as raced today is of the order
of 60 (yes sixty.......) square feet. Makes Nebulus Theorem the proverbial
needle and these vehicles a barn door.  Does anyone want to try running
with a vertical 71/2 feet by 8 feet piece of plywood .... thats what the
guys were pushing along with electric motors during this attempt.

Malcolm Pittwood, Derby, England