Re: Folks on the sidelines Part 1 (Long)

To: "Landracing.com" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Folks on the sidelines Part 1 (Long)
From: "Rich Trow" <richtrow@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 11:49:44 -0600
"Everytime we go to Bonneville I meet these Great folks who say.... oh
yeah I'm on the list... but I don't say much... I just listen and read..."

OK Keith, I'm one of the lurkers, I have never posted cause I never had
anything to say. But I have gotten useful and interesting info from the
group. Guess I'll introduce myself.

In 2000, I got a little bit involved with the Sportster List LSR effort. I
have an Harley XR1000, but I knew it would be too expensive for me to race
it. So, I got a rule book, studied it, and settled on an '82 Honda CX500T.
It's a Turboed, EFI, watercooled, pushrod, 500 cc v-twin. The bikes are
cheap, the motors rugged, it figured to be easy to hop up, and it could run
in several classes where the records were open. Convinced a friend (Gary
Webb of Ft. Worth) to go in with me.

We bought a bike that had sat for 8 years. Rusted out tank, stuck brakes,
etc. Also a parts bike that was worse. Got it running (barely) just in time
for Speedweek '01. Had a bunch of problems with a complex system. Never got
a clean run down the salt (except one where we forgot to shift to fifth - we
are used to dirt bikes and the 85 mph speedometer was pinned - it seemed
plenty fast to the seat of our pants).

Afterward, bought / built equipment and learned how to test sensors. Got the
brakes to quit dragging. Speedweek '02 the EFI was OK, but the waste gate
was stuck. When we hit 25 psi boost, the computer went into limp home mode.
It hadn't done this where I live (Franktown, Colorado @6600 feet). By
playing games with inlet restrictors we got clean runs at 22 psi.

In '03 we had two bikes on the salt. The first was the stocker, which has
now done 127.928 mph which is about what we think it's good for. We will
probably retire it after this year. Or we may build a sidecar for it. Or we
may just try to squeeze a little more out of it next year anyway.

The second was built up from the three parts bikes we have now gathered up.
It is a naked bike, with no fairing, instruments, or anything else it will
run without. We were lucky just to get it together enough to make runs down
the salt. It ran well, with a one way of 128.9 mph, (I messed up on the
return) and we are continuing construction. We think it'll be good for about
135 mph without nitrous or streamlining.

(Part 2 follows)