Re: Roadsters Aero issues...

To: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Roadsters Aero issues...
From: "Ron Gibson" <rgg14@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 16:00:40 -0600
Keith
  Maybe it's a carryover habit from his roadster days, but Al had lead in
the rear of his liner. In the mid 80s when he tried Arfron's 600 mph tires,
he said he broke traction and started skating around at about 370. Makes me
pucker just thinking about that.
  Adding weight is about all you can do with a gas or street roadster to
gain traction. Bill Templeton  tried wide tires on his roadster and slowed
down so he put skinnys back on. I'm not sure that wides don't plane on air
at high speed if you can't load them enough ( at least on a roadster where
they're in the air). Kind of hard to put a lot of power down through a small
footprint without much weight.

Ron Gibson  Omaha NE