RE: Frictional losses

To: "'Keith Turk'" <kturk@ala.net>, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Frictional losses
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 10:56:25 -0600
Keith;

Another factor in gear efficiency is the surface finish of the gear teeth. A
gear with very precisely ground teeth mating properly with another similar
gear will have better efficiency (and generate less heat & wear) than one
with a rough surface on the teeth. The worst are hobbed gears; the machined
finish on those teeth is much rougher than a gear with teeth that have been
ground.

Don't Hobbit- grind it  :^)

Regards, Neil    Tucson, AZ