RE: Traction control II

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Traction control II
From: "Dave Dahlgren" <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 08:58:00 -0500
Then we are in agreement the definition of traction control is very vague at
best.  Of all people I had hoped that you would know the difference more
than anyone because as far as I know you are in the auto repair business.
What is your definition of it so we are on the same page?

I have a 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix with traction control. It operates the
brakes to slow down a spinning wheel but only that wheel. I snows in
Connecticut. I have tested it a lot. Never once did the engine get soft or
lay down. Can you imagine how much money GM could save if they did it with
electronics only to control the engine rather than the brakes? they could
eliminate 4 wheel speed sensors 4 pickup wheels, the brake actuator and the
computer than runs this mess. If Davis says that their device is that small
it could probably be made in large quantities (millions) for around 10 or 20
bucks.. less than the price of a couple wheel speed sensors at the same
quantity level.

At some point in time some magazine writer or advertising idiot started
calling things that help stop the wheels from spinning by cutting power
traction control. I assume it was one of those types as they are responsible
for most of the mis-information in the world.  They probably reasoned that
it was traction control because the wheels stopped spinning. They did forget
to notice the car slowed down as well. While cutting power will stop a wheel
from spinning by having no more power than the wheels will hook up if this
were in a passenger car with an open diff on an icy road I doubt if the car
would move at all. If the same car had a proper traction control system it
would drive away with no fuss as it would only slow down a spinning wheel
and let the others drive the car.

The real problem with traction control is the definition that has been
expanded to cover anything that will help hook the car up. Even worse is the
adoption of this definition by people and organizations that do not seem to
know what they are talking about but assume if this person calls this thing
traction control than it must be so. It is sort of like looking something up
on the net. The information is no more accurate than the person that wrote
it.

Dave.. At least this subject is helping my typing skills.. LOL