World Record

To: LSR List <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: World Record
From: Malcolm Pittwood <MPittwood@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 04:49:48 -0500
Keith & List

Just in case Jack's last but one comments (seat belts and valve caps)
create the impression that the FIA does not care about safety may I clarify
matters.

The FIA Appendix D is about running a record attempt in conformity with
procedures.  These are little changed from 1911 when two way runs became
obligatory.  All vehicles have to be built so that they are " not of
dangerous construction" (or " ne pas etre de construction consideree comme
dangereuse").  There is mention of a firewall in a general paragraph on
vehicles eligible to run for records bur no other build data is in this
Appendix.

The FIA Appendix B lists the classes groups and categories into which they
accept vehicles for their records.  (This is where the types of cars could
become limited to streamliners for up to 1 mile records).  This document
too does not tell you how to build your vehicle either.

The vehicle build quality is left to the owner, or the team, provided that
the scrutineer (technical inspector) in the Country where it is built or
run is content that it is not dangerous.

The vehicle operator takes on the responsibility of making a vehicle as
safe as it can be and at the end of the day effects his own Insurance to
indemnify almost everyone involved at the attempt site, including the FIA,
local motorsport body, the Officials and Timekeeper and even the landowner.

The UK governing body for racing affiliated to the FIA is the Motor Sport
Association and they set down in the Competitirs Yearbook (the 'Blue Book')
details of vehicle construction that I would need to follow.  In the safety
section there are roll over strucure rules, seat belt rules including how
to mount them and we all fit metal tyre valves and caps as part of a
'normal' build.

As members of this list know - you can run any SCTA/BNI approved vehicle
for an FIA record.  You have to wait for final recognition from a Committe
and pay for a certificate (and up until now the only definitive list of
records was with Burdett Martin of ACCUS in the USA), but you can get an
International record recognised in over 180 Countries.

Malcolm Pittwood, Derby, England.

PS have a Happy New Year - take it easy with the celebrations.
PPS my response to Keiths WORLD RECORD posting is lost in Compuserve
electrons and may get to the list sometime in the future.