traction control - moveable aero

To: "land speed" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: traction control - moveable aero
From: "Dan Warner" <dwarner@electrorent.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 09:53:41 -0800
Lets close the year with a hot topic - TC.

For Neil,

Moveable aero devices are not illegal. Casey Clark used an adjustable rear
wing plate while setting a 310 record at World Finals. Of course the adjuster
motor burned out on the qualifying run and the repair almost delayed them
enough to miss clearing impound for the second run. They then had to hard bolt
the wing plate into a compromise postion for the run.

I am not sure that moveable aero stuff is what you want. We have seen wings
collapse, air get out from under a car and other scenarios that have resulted
in injury and unfortunatly, death to drivers in other forms of racing. We have
discussed the level of expertise of our drivers, re: seat time recently. I
don't know if anyone can recover quickly enough in the event of a loss of aero
whacked the wall a couple of months ago, he certainly has seat time.

Malcom stated recently that FIA leaves the safety of a vehicle up to the
entrant. That postion will not ensure the safest possible racer as poor
engineering and execution of a faulty principle can do more harm than rules
which govern the build. One of the postions I took opposing rear wings on
Modified Roadster was that while some may have a wing professional built too
many of our guys would just go to the scrap heap beside the garage, pick up a
piece of alum. plate and say ..."this is good enough!"

Every one have a happy new year. Looking forward to safe and fast 2004,

DW