Re: Fw: Crank Balancing ( recip's )

To: List Land Speed <land-speed@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Fw: Crank Balancing ( recip's )
From: Bryan Savage <b.a.savage@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 02:59:49 -0700
Keith,

They were called "Rotary" engines. Gnome and  LeRohne were the most
common. The Gnome had one valve per cylinder, a large exhaust valve in
the top center of the head. The Nine cylinder put out 165 hp. I talked
to a guy that flew them in WWI and he said they were totally unreliable
by today's (1968) standards. He was surprised  that people were still
flying them  ----  voluntarily. I met him while examining one a The Old
Rhinebeck Aerodrome in New York in 1969.

Bryan