Bright Stuff

To: Land-speed@Autox.Team.Net (Landspeed)
Subject: Bright Stuff
From: Bobbyhotrods@comcast.net
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 18:52:51 +0000
Aron, up here in Boston (the most expensive corner of the universe) it is crazy
expensive to bright chrome stuff.
Fifth generation,  I'm still somewhat in the plating game these days but only
as a jobber, bringing jobs to friend's shops.
The expense is found in the polishing prep (labor) and polution control, ergo,
you'll find big savings where labor is cheap and polution regs are not strict,
typically in southern states.
 You'll want a shop who at least in part specializes in brightwork. Industrial
work usually involves different copper and nickel plating solutions.
Personally I'm no where near as fussy as some folks with the results (the
cobbler's son goes barefoot) and I see good jobs coming out of the shops that
advertize in say, motorcycle magazines. And yeah, they can polish the Indian's
nose off; I wouldn't send 'em anything real valuable .....
You might consider sending some of your stuff to a selected vendor, then send
the balance if the first lot goes well.
I have a local pal who's very, very good but crazy money, if anything of what
you have is in that fussy catagory.
If anything you have is in poor shape, you can have it heavily copper plated
and returned to you where you can fill the holes with solder, what they'd do
with it, then send it back for more polishing and subsequent plating.
Don't send any tempered steel. Electroless nickel holds up better than bright
chrome on the salt; it's very passive, but generally won't accept a flash coat
of chrome for that blue shade for that same reason....BJ