PBS Ken Burns special on first cross counntry auto trip

To: 1-A-list <wester6935@comcast.net>,
Subject: PBS Ken Burns special on first cross counntry auto trip
From: W S Potter <wester6935@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 08:15:43 -0700
I have to give Ken Burns credit.   When he has just one subject, with a
limited chance to have biased, outside input, he gives General Motors their
money's worth.

His documentary, "Horatio's Drive" ...
http://www.pbs.org/kenburns/films/horatio.html ... is wonderful.  I was
fascinated with the unfolding of the story as I watched it last night.  The
photos from the 1903 trip and the re-creations of on road problems were
extremely well done.  It was as if you were there with the travelers on
their journey.  The 12 hp  Winton, christened "The Vermont" by the owner Dr.
Horatio Nelson Jackson, was the star of the show along with "Bud" the $15
bulldog who accompanied Jackson and Sewall J. Crocker on their adventure.

I'm probably going to have to pop for the video, $19.95 isn't much for an
archived history like this production.  It was a huge relief after all the
hours of political ads and other crap on the tube last night.

For another look at a depiction of the trip see;
http://www.stanleywanlass.com/bronzes_automotive_sf_to_nyc.html
Stan really caught the spirit of the trip, except for the collection of mud
from every state they crossed that Jackson refused to wash off the car until
after the trip.  Google it for more on the story.

Wes