Re: Tony Nancy Story

To: saltracer@awwwsome.com, land-speed@Autox.Team.Net, gboerman@earthlink.net,
Subject: Re: Tony Nancy Story
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 14:56:55 EST
In a message dated 11/18/2004 10:49:58 AM Pacific Standard Time,
saltracer@awwwsome.com writes:

> Doug,
>
> Great story!! I also have a Top eliminator @ Santa Maria story...paid
> well, a $25 Gov't Bond.
>
> I remember the Tony Nancy Roadster from the Santa Ana Days. Beautiful car.
>
> Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/FCC

Tom,
    I have a few Top Time and Top Eliminator trophies from Santa Maria and
San Luis Obispo.
    The most memorable ones came from a meet at SLO that Jazzy Nelson was
supposed to attend with his amazing Fiat Flatty fuel coupe. The promoters put
up
a couple of 24" tall trophies and a $25 savings bond to entice him to show.
When he didn't make it guess who got the booty by narrowly beating Gary
Boerman's Standard Motors (Cad dealer) 4X4 Cad powered competition sedan?
    There was a DeSoto powered modified roadster from the San Joaquin Valley
that was campaigned by Milt Alley & Herb DeWitt, as well as a Nailhead Buick
powered hiboy fuel roadster owned by Hut Watkins that ran there occasionally. I
was always relieved when they didn't show up for a meet. Those guys were real
pioneers in hopping up the newly emerging early OHV V-8's of the mid 50's.
Even though the SBC came out about then, it was several years before many
people
ran them at the drags, not only because of a lack of speed equipment but also
due to the fact that the slicks of the era couldn't handle much horsepower
beyond what a fuel-burning Flatty would produce.
         Yours Truly...............Ardun Doug King