First car

To: land-speed@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: First car
From: Chris Harris <yesford@clear.net.nz>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 15:38:52 +1300
My first was a 32 Ford 3 window coupe bought in 68 when I was 19. It was
already rodded being fenderless and channelled with a C59A Merc mill. Paid
$700 for it. Was only on the road for about 3 months before it was
completely stripped and up dated with 56 Ford running gear, 272 V8, 3 sp and
diff. Also installed a later 35 beam axle which lowered the front. While
this 18 month project was going on I bought a 46 Ford sedan for $150 for
regular transport. It failed getting a 'Warrant of Fitness" a required 6
monthly roadworthy check to be legally on the road due to slack in the
steering. This turned out to be the steering box mounting bracket being
loose where bolted to the chassis. Five minutes with the stick welder soon
fixed that. Truly learn't to drive in that big old sedan. I worked as a
stockman on a 6,000 acre sheep and cattle station (ranch) about 35 miles
from town on a mainly twisty loose metal road. It wasn't a 68 Charger by any
stretch but  the Dukes of Hazard would've been proud. Not real clever
looking back, regularly ran out of steering lock by speed induced excessive
oversteer in reducing radius turns or more simply BAD DRIVING. My other
memory was its ability to turn my girlfriends ice-cream a sooty grey colour
from the engine fumes coming from under the dash. Despite this bad start, 32
years of happy marriage have followed. Lots of good memories.
Chris Harris................New Zealand.