RE: BRN Articles on Ebay

To: land-speed@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: BRN Articles on Ebay
From: "Dave Dahlgren" <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 15:07:56 -0500
For what little it is worth I received about 30 private e-mails that thought
my point of view was on target and around 3 public ones that said it was
not.. maybe I was the only person with enough balls to say it was not a
great idea..
As a point of personal integredity when you interview someone or write an
article about them  the reasonable thing to do to let them know if it is for
profit or not. When the interview is assumed not for profit such as being
published in BRN and the writer did it for the joy of it that is one thing.
If it is to be used for profit that is another as the person being
interviewed is the marketable item. Without them the page is either blank or
it is someone talking to themselves..
The whole point is using material that was gathered under a different
pretense than what it was finally used for..
If it started out with "hey I got a release from the people I interviewed
and the place I published it and then I am able to sell copies of it" that
is a different thing than "hey I wrote some articles about people I
interviewed and now they are available for sale" that is another thing..
I have a personal aversion to turning a conversation into a profit center
but hey the tabloids are full of them so what do I know...
I have done a lot of things for free and it will remain that way until some
I did them for turns it into money for them. But on the other hand I weigh
very carefully who I do them for before I do them. If they seem honorable
there is no limit if not I just walk away.
Before anyone whines too much ask yourselves if you have ever been duped for
a deal like this where you did something under a pretense that was different
than the final use...
Your mileage may vary etc..
Dave