Starter / Alternator question

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Starter / Alternator question
From: <staiger3@starband.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 15:30:22 -0500 (EST)
In the spirit of Keith's request, here is another subject to talk about...
 I was recently told that in this months SAE news there is an article
about alternator/starters.  By definition, these are called "start-stop"
systems are are/were developed for hybrids and super "green" engines.
They work as both an alternator and a starter in one housing.  I believe
they were developed to restart an engine when you step on the gas (the
computer kills the engine when you come to a stop).  Supposedly they are
pretty standard claw pole alternators witch fit in standard mounts and run
by the accessory belt.  At a go command they become a starter and run back
wards (electricaly speaking).  My question is -- has anyone seen any of
these "alternators" and if so, where might I get information.  They sound
like they could solve a problem I am having adapting a starter to my
engine / bell housing / header configuration fairly easily... if they
afordable... if they are availible... if they work... if if if  ...

John