41 degrees North 114 degrees West

To: land-speed@autox.team.net (landspeed list)
Subject: 41 degrees North 114 degrees West
From: wester6935@comcast.net
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 13:48:14 +0000
I ran across this site that shows photographs taken at all of the geographic
confluences that are currently mapped in the world with GPS units.  The one in
the subject line is on the East side of Pilot Peak and fifteen miles North of
Wendover.  The United States is well mapped.  Other countries are mapped in
varying percentages.  While riding in Ed Van Scoy's Jeep (when he helped pull
Tom Burkland and the #411 liner out of the crunchies West of Floating Mountain)
I was exposed to the usefulness of a GPS unit.  When we were back on hard,
smooth salt, after pulling for what seemed to be over a mile, we were eleven
mles from the end of the paved access road according to his hand held GPS.
Using that we could have successfully navigated an exit to the salt flats
without being able to see our surroundings.  Actually, in the process of
getting back to the pits and off the salt that dark night, someone hit a timing
light.  Not someting that endeared any of us to Gary Wilkinson the next morning.

http://www.confluence.org/index.php

Check it out!

Wes