Non-LSR Bead roller mods

To: "land-speed submit" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Non-LSR Bead roller mods
From: "3liter" <saltfever@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 18:39:10 -0800
Bob Denton says . . . contemplating motorizing it. . . I understand what
needs to be done but don't know anything about gear reduction, etc.

Bob, there are two issues.  One is the forward speed and the other is torque
needed. My guess is you don't want to be scooting along at 200 inches per
minute(IPM), especially around small radius corners. 12-15 IPM may do it for
you or you may want to go even slower on some operations. You will have to
determine your best speed.  But using that speed as an example, a standard
3600 rpm motor, and a 2" diameter die (or former), I get a gear reduction of
about 1507:1.  2" diameter is 6.28" in one revolution x 3600 rpm = 22,608
IPM. Divide that by 15 IPM and you get that reduction. Obviously, using
different diameter dies, or a variable speed motor changes everything, but
you get the idea.

The torque requirement depends on the kind of material, alloy, gauge
thickness, and the geometry of the forming die. None of these are known. So
you might take your application and attach a torque wrench or a fish scale
to the crank and measure the force needed. The force (torque) required,
divided by the motor torque is the reduction needed. Example, 30 lbs of
required torque divided by 2 lbs motor torque = 15:1 reduction.

It looks like speed will be your biggest concern and the reduction required
will more than make up for a weak or smaller motor. -Elon