Re: Michelin Tweel

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Michelin Tweel
From: jthorn65@sbcglobal.net
Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 19:23:52 -0500
The promise of no more flats is a pretty powerful inducement for Bubba and
anyone else. It does look like it might howl at high rotation speeds (one
article
mentioned the spokes vibrate audibly) but water wouldn't appear to
compromise it deformation abilities to me. Ice and snow building up and
causing a rotational imbalance seems very likely with this design however.

One of the first thoughts that crossed my mind was that a flexible sidewall
covering would almost give it the appearance of a standard tire wheel combo.
This would eliminate much consumer trepidation in my opinion. Perhaps two
layers, one attached to the outer circumference, the tread band, and one
attached to the inner, the shear band. They could overlap and slide past each
other upon deformation of the tread band. This sould also eliminate the
possible introduction of ice or snow and might quiet the noise of the spokes.

I didn't see anything about how fast it can rotate before it might begin to
disintergrate. I didn't see anything about a speed rating at all.

John T.