El Mirage May 2005

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: El Mirage May 2005
From: "The Weldons" <2weldons@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 21:22:03 -0700
Great 2 day meet?  dunno--Weather was great for both days but surface
conditions not so great.
I commented that the drying conditions made the cracks between the mud cakes
in the surface wider so more "evil spirits" could get out. (laughter)
Saturday Rick Yacoucci upped one of the liner records by a big margin; but
that was the only car record for the day.  The bike folks did better.
Doug and Bryan's (Kings) ardun (XX-FMR)wouldn't start for 2 hours in the pits
for some silly reason we'd rather not elaborate on. (thanks, Rick Gold and Don
Ferguson for your help and patience).  Finally got in line and turned a
disappointing speed in the 150's.  Blame the traction----uh-huh.
Biennial ceremonial dinner with Creel&Buck lots of fun once the wind quit and
the generator got started.
Sunday another beautiful day but the course had to be moved and only one run
was available for all. Brian still couldn't get a good speed with the ardun on
the 2nd run. Everything wrapped up early and we loaded up & headed for home.
I had really expected all the Socal spring rain would have produced better
surface conditions on the lake bed but just the opposite was the case. Not
good for most racers.   Still a meet worth remembering.  Especially for me.
Ed Weldon