El Mirage Part #1

To: land speed <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: El Mirage Part #1
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 12:16:47 -0800
List,

I tried to sent this as one part and it evidently did not go through.
Here is part one of my 2005 saga.

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/FCC

Well, finally we got to go racing again. The weekend at El Mirage was
successful in the sense that we had a great time making contact with
family, old friends and new acquaintances. Unfortunately, we didn't
accomplish our mission, but, if God permits, there will be other days to
do that.

We struggled with various tune-up problems. At first, #6 cylinder would
not run properly. We checked plug wires, nozzles, valve train and
compression. It seemed that we had washed it down due to flooding the
engine on first start up. I poured some transmission fluid down the
intake and brought the EGT up somewhat, so we decided to make a run and
see what happened.

The engine appeared to be too rich, since it would not take full
throttle. To complicate matters, the engine was slow to start on the
line, so in the thrash, I forgot to set the computer. No data and a 168
MPH pass.

Since the course went away,  we got no second run with a leaner setting
until Sunday morning. I chose to go .008 leaner, but Barry still could
not use full throttle. A 119 MPH pass. We were running up against a
deadline to get back to Lancaster and check out of the motel, so we
loaded the car on the trailer and headed home.

It was obvious that I had made an error in the installation or we had a
plugged fuel return line. It should not have been too rich with the jet
that was being used. In fact, I was .024 leaner than the calculations
had suggested. It should have been extremely lean. This gave me fodder
for thought for the six hundred miles home. (continued)