Maxton

To: land-speed@autox.team.net, CBOLD927@bellsouth.net, hola.joey@yahoo.com,
Subject: Maxton
From: BWANA343@aol.com
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 15:23:42 EDT
Got back from Maxton here in NY 6 am this morn after 14 hrs on road, due
mostly to construction around Philly/Wilmington.
Briefly, got a little "Tasmanian" on first run Saturday, threw a rod after
the quarter around 130mph, coasted through the lights.
We had a spare engine, worked til dark, did "the Banquet" ( who did that  map
?)
Out the next morn, had it buttoned  up and running by noon.( Thanks  Eskimos
! )
Staged, launched slightly more conservatively, had some front stability
issues, went through the lights at 143.8 for new G/BGSS record over the
previous
133 set last Sept.
Went to impound for my paperwork and a VERY WARM reception from the gang
down there. It's kinda unusual to blow a car motor, rebuild, and run and set a
record the next day, I guess.
Went back to try one last run, starter would not engage. Not knowing if
starter or what, called it a Day,a Loooong day.
We got parts from everybody, constant technical and moral support and even  a
round of applause on a little test run around the pits after we had it
running.
A lot of unplanned side trips all over NC from Thursday through
Sunday,covered over 1500 miles and me driving around 30 hrs total , just a
little
stressful.
All in all a very  educational weekend at Woodstock on Wheels. GREAT  job by
Tonna, Donya,  Joe, Keith and a bunch of very efficient dedicated  volunteers.
The HotRod photo guy took a load of pix of my car, Fireburger said the rod
sticking out the block might make the magazine story, long as it can't be ID'd
as Furrin'.  Enough for now,I might take a  three day nap......ZZZZZ  zzzzzz
Bob W current G/BGSS record guy