/GC eligibility

To: LSR list <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: /GC eligibility
From: Mike Lackey <mike_lackey@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 00:24:17 -0700 (PDT)
I'm considering building my first race car.  I'm thinking a /GC would be a good
way to get my toes
wet, but I'm a little unclear on exactly whether or not the car I have in mind
would be a /GC.
One of the rules states that it must "have been originally produced with
suitable seating for four
(4) average adult persons" which seems a little subjective to me.  The car I'm
thinking of is a
'70-'77 Toyota Celica and the rear seat is a bit on the small side, but it's
there.  However, a
911 has a back seat, and it's specifically mentioned as an example under /GMS
/FMS etc.  I presume
the reason it's not a /GC is that the rear seat is too small (smaller than the
Celica).  So is
there some dimension I can measure to figure out which class the Celica would
fit in?  There's a
slim chance I could buy one soon depending on whether or not my fiancee will
freak out when I tell
her I want to bring home *another* car, this one with a blown engine. :)

Another question regarding /GC.  In the 2006 rulebook (p. 60) there is a nice
picture of a Honda
Civic with what looks like G/BGC on the side.  It has both parts of the grill
partially covered
(one with a plate reading Hondata and the bottom part half covered with another
plate).  However,
in section 5D in big bold letters it states that for gas coupes and sedans the
original grill
opening must remain uncovered.  Doesn't this mean the Honda's partial covering
is illegal for the
class?  Or is some partial covering legal?

Thanks,
Mike Lackey