Ram air effect for intake scoops. Fact or Fiction...

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Ram air effect for intake scoops. Fact or Fiction...
From: Askotto@aol.com
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 20:08:08 EDT
I'm sure this topic has been beat to death but I'm a newbee. Bear with  me...

I ran my Belly Tank style Lakester at Texas with a token air intake scoop
that was not much larger than a 6" by 3" opening. It sits right  over the carb.
I'm sure a properly located and designed intake will improve  performance. I'm
thinking a plenum that follows the body line and extends above  the rear edge
of the canopy an inch or so. This would pick up any "ram  effect" if there is
such a thing. Drag being the trade off.

I also noticed the other school of thought where there is no scoop sticking
up at all, saving the drag. How do these designs pick up cool fresh  air?

Am I wasting my time with an external intake scoop sitting on top of the  car
regardless of design?

Thanks for anybody input in advance.

Otto