Re: Dry Sump Musings

To: "3 liter" <saltfever@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Dry Sump Musings
From: "Ed Weldon" <23.weldon@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 09:00:25 -0700
Elon--
Real interesting info on dry sumps, a subject about which I knew little.
One comment I'd like to add from my experience as a young engineer assigned
to the gear pump engineering group at Worthington Pump.  The higher the
viscosity, the more likely the oil is to entrain air and keep the bubbles in
suspension.  The other point I'd make is that if the scavenge pump is
sucking against a partial vacuum it may pump so little that it can't keep up
with the oil demands of the pressure pump at high speeds.  Short of running
the system under tightly controlled test stand conditions it's hard to
predict when that point will be reached.  So I'd be inclined to think that
conventional wisdom counts for a lot in this situation.
Still another thought that I have here is that if the fitup of the race
engine in terms of mechanical precision, clearances, etc. is good enough to
allow a lower viscosity synthetic oil, then that's the way to go.  Again,
conventional wisdom counts for a lot here if you don't have a big R&D
budget.
Ed Weldon