RE: temps. ..... naaah, about Reefers

To: speedtimer@charter.net
Subject: RE: temps. ..... naaah, about Reefers
From: FastmetalBDF@aol.com
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 21:56:32 EDT
Hey Glen  ..... You're giving away your age, mine, and a bunch of  others
here with the term Ice Box or Ice Chest ...... younger folks grew up with  the
'Fridge' and never saw the ice man every week ...... and 'Cooler' seems to  be
more modern name for that Ice Chest .....
Even the term 'reefer' has a bunch of more  modern names since the era when
only wild jazz musicians were often accused of  smoking them . Remember an old
movie called "Reefer Madness"...... a flop from  1936 warning youth about the
dangers of pot ?
     When I was a kid a 'reefer' also  meant one of those( often orange )
insulated railroad boxcars with ice  hatches at all four corners to keep the
produce inside fresh on its' way to the  market  ...... living in California
you
must have seen thousands of  them owned by the Pacific Fruit Express on your
local rails.
      Anyhow, enjoy your garage( with AC  & TV ? )and the reefer, and the 12
pack .......
                        and keep the Countdown rolling on ......
 Only 87* here( CT shoreline ) today, but a bit too muggy ......  Bruce, your
fellow septuagenarian( huh ??? )  ~
PS: How about recalling a few tales for us from the late, great LIONS  Drag
Strip ???
     You were there a whole lot  ~ I only got  there about seven times in '56
& '57.