Calculating CP/CG, the easy way!

To: drmayf@mayfco.com
Subject: Calculating CP/CG, the easy way!
From: Askotto@aol.com
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 22:26:36 EDT
In a message dated 7/17/2006 7:21:36 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
drmayf@mayfco.com writes:

I am  curious as to how you
determined the center of pressure of your car. Maybe  you have discovered
the holey grail  of automotive aerodynamics with  regards to finding that
easily and without extensive CFD computations. In  all my reading on
aerodynamics of cars I have never found a  method.

mayf, out in pahrump

I have two structural/mechanical engineers "on staff" who ran it through a
program at the Sandia National Labs. They will be coming to the salt for Speed
Weeks if you would like to chat with them.

They gave me 4 different re designs of the tail end of the car with varying
CG/CP ratios. I picked the "best one" with the largest vertical fin. It will
look like a bat wing in the rear just for "scary effect".

I had to send them a side view of the car and the weight at all  wheels. They
scanned the car into the computer and plugged in the weights and  the next
thing I knew, I was in big trouble with my CP/CG as my CP was  ahead of the CG
by 6.27". Doughnuts here we come!

Yes, it is a magic formula/computer that does it in mille seconds. I could
ask if they would do your car. You got a clear pic of the side view of the car
and the front/rear weights. If you know the square inches of the side of your
 car you may not need a pic.

Odd Toe