Re: parts interchange

To: lsr_man@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: parts interchange
From: Askotto@aol.com
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 00:57:27 EST
In a message dated 11/9/2006 9:36:29 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
lsr_man@yahoo.com writes:

Does  anybody on the list have an old Hollander Parts Interchange Manual?  I
want to convert my 1975 Firebird from power steering to manual steering.
The (questionable) list I have lists:
mid-80s S-10s;
F-body from 67-92, (camaro & birds)
X-body from 68-74  - posssibly all the way to 79; (Nova)
G-body from 76-85.   (Malibu, Chevelle, Monte, Cutlas, Regal, etc)

I  understand that it must use the manual steering arm and pitman arm  too.

If anybody can confirm or modify this list,  please let me know.

DickJ
In East  Texas

Hi Dick

I'd go with a rack and pinion for more precise steering control. It  also
gives you more header room/engine access.

They are a piece of cake to adapt. I hang the rack where it should be,
considering steering shaft clearance, angle and tie rod end  alignment. I stick
the
mounting bolts threw the mounting holes in the rack.  I weld the mounting
bolt nuts in the end of 1" x .120 wall tubing and weld the  other end of the
tubing to the frame/sub frame. Typically the tubes will be a  few inches long.
It's clean and straight forward.

I sent you some pics of the one I did on my 57 Bel Air. The list can't see
them but I think they will come through to you.

There are a lot of nice after market racks and of course, auto recycle
centers.

Otto

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of cu
susp.jpg]

front susp steering.jpg]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of rack
mount small.jpg]