Flame prevention

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Flame prevention
From: "Benn" <karhu@california.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 22:09:05 -0800
I don't know Satch from Adam's off ox (and how long since you heard that
phrase?), but I think most of us are in general agreement with Satch's
"basic rule"...

It's just too easy sometimes to leap on the keyboard without thinking
through the consequences of what we send out   I've tried (not always
successfully) to tamp down my own tendencies by saving a potentially
inflamatory email as a draft and thinking on it some hours or days (this
applies to any personal statements as well as political and religious
matters) before sending.  More often than not, I just end up deleting
it.  Life's too short to get people pissed off over something that's
ultimately small potatos.    Please don't assume we're champing at the
bit to hear your latest flame, political statement, etc.   But I hate to
see anybody with good experience and interest leave the list, so I hope
everyone will at least give a passing thought to how their statements
will be perceived.

What we all DO want to hear is your experience with LSR and related
topics--the meatier, the better.   We don't have to agree with
everything someone says, but it's probably useful to ferret out why our
experience or knowledge doesn't match another's.  Maybe you don't have
hard numbers to back up your sense of how a particular piece of
machinery behaves, but that doesn't invalidate your experience in my
book.  Hey, I'm an engineer, and love to see data, but qualitative
answers (yup, nope, it depends) are often just as useful (and less
resource consuming) as lots of data points.   I respect people who try
different approaches, experiencing success with some and rejecting
others (even if not always for the right reasons).  And just as
yesterday's "conventional wisdom" is sometimes disputed, then modified
or even rejected as experimentation proceeds, so can "wrong" solutions
become useful in a new context.   Ultimately, the scientific method
rules.  Nobody has a monopoly on wisdom, and, as long as we're not dead
from the neck up, we're all learning new things all the time.

Benn

"Wise men learn more from fools than fools from wise men."