Pop Rivet Rant

To: "'3 liter'" <saltfever@comcast.net>, "'land-speed submit'"
Subject: Pop Rivet Rant
From: "Neil Albaugh" <neil@dbelltech.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 16:46:58 -0700
Elon;

As Keith pointed out, high humidity can also accelerate dissimilar metal
corrosion.

Let me take this opportunity to say a few words about "pop rivets"--- the
original blind fasteners, "Pop Rivets", were developed by USM (United Shoe
Machinery) quite a while ago. They are available all over the place (not
necessarily manufactured by USM; their patents ran out years ago), cheap,
and convenient. Most are aluminum rivets with a steel mandrel or steel with
a steel mandrel. The strength of these pop rivets is LOW and should not be
used in structural applications. They are fine for attaching body panels,
sheet metal, etc.

They can also be found in stainless steel (stronger than aluminum and they
don't rust) and even in Monel (my favorite pop rivets). They are also
considerably stronger than the aluminum ones, don't rust, and are useful up
to a fairly high temperature.

...more in second part....   Neil