Re: Steam

To: "Skip Higginbotham" <Saltrat@pahrump.com>,
Subject: Re: Steam
From: "Ed Weldon" <23.weldon@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 16:51:55 -0800
Skip--don't know how deep you want to go into this dream sequence; but
here's a couple of snippets:
1. Steamin Demon ran about 20 years back.  Think I may have one or two pics.
2. One construction aspect is inspection and certification of the boilers.
The guys who build large scale steam locomotive models, the 7-1/2" gauge
ones you ride on, are a pretty serious and capable bunch.  They're well
tuned into the construction issues and equipment sources and would be a
helpful resource.  Several in the Bay area.  Don't know them well personally
but I may be able to dig up names and contact info.
A serious landspeed racer needs a lot of horsepower.  To me the biggest
technical hurdle is designing and building the high pressure boiler needed
for the job.  This is not exactly your average Home Depot hot water heater.
Ed Weldon